This bog Yew pendant comes from ancient forests that once covered Ireland. Huge Yew trees have been buried in peat bogs and preserved from decay by the acidic and anaerobic bog conditions, sometimes for hundreds or even thousands of years. The wood is usually stained brown by tannin dissolved in the acidic water. Bog-wood represents the early stages in the fossilization of wood, with further stages ultimately forming lignite and coal over a period of many millions of years.
Considered one of the Sacred trees in the Celtic world, the Yew has long been associated with immortality & longevity. As a consequence, warriors and poets alike were often called after it. Indeed, Eoghan remains one of the more popular Irish names in modern Ireland. The Druids chose yew from which to make their wands, or staffs. Being so long-lived, it was seen as having powerful magical properties.
Light and elegant, this bog yew pendant is suitable for both everyday wear and for that special occasion! It is the perfect gift for anyone with Irish heritage or for someone who resonates with the Celtic myths and traditions of the natural world.
Another element that actively influences my work is the contrast between silver and wood. In this piece, I find the inherent attractiveness of the brown color is greatly enhanced by its proximity to the silver part.
– 6000 year old Irish Bog Yew, sanded to a smooth finish
– Oil and beeswax finish to seal the wood & enhance its natural color
– Sterling silver inlay & jump ring
– Pendant size: 30mm x 13mm / 1.2″ x 0.5″
– On a 16″ (40cm) 18″ (45cm), 20″ (50cm) or 22″ (55cm) long brown waxed nylon cord necklace
– Your lovely Irish bog Yew pendant will come on a gift card with a Certificate of Authenticity.
– I use International Express air mail with a tracking (unless otherwise requested)
I have a genuine love for my craft and take great pride in the creation of each individual piece. Even more so when it is a customized order. Please note that the grain and color of the wood may vary slightly from the pieces modeled in the photographs.
Thank you for choosing Fretmajic.