Hand-carved on the ancient Irish bog oak, this Celtic cross pendant is the perfect gift for anyone with Irish heritage or for someone who resonates with the Celtic myths and traditions of the natural world.
Bog oak comes from ancient forests that once covered Ireland. Huge oaks have been buried in peat bogs and preserved from decay by the acidic and anaerobic bog conditions, sometimes for hundreds or even thousands of years. The wood is usually stained black by tannin dissolved in the acidic water. Bog-wood represents the early stages in the fossilization of wood, with further stages ultimately forming lignite and coal over a period of many millions of years.
Known as King of the forest for its strength and longevity, the oak was sacred to the ancient Celts and is considered one of the three primary magical woods.
Widely used as christian symbol, the Celtic cross has a history stretching further back than Christianity. According to legend, the ringed cross was introduced by St Patrick when he was converting pagans to Christianity.
It has been said that St Patrick combined the Christian cross with the pagan sun to give the newly converted followers the idea of the importance of the cross by linking it with the symbolism of the life-giving properties of the sun. In the mid-19th century, a Celtic revival led to an increased use of the ringed cross in Ireland, and the Celtic Cross became not only a religious symbol but an emblem of Celtic identity.
– 5000 year old Irish bog oak, sanded to a smooth finish
– Beeswax & organic oil finish to seal the wood & enhance its natural color
– Pendant size: 55mm x 26mm / 2.25″ x 1″
– On 16″ or 18″ or 20″ Waxed black nylon cord necklace with lobster clasp
– With a quality cast and lead free pewter Trinity Celtic bail attached
This unique Celtic cross pendant will arrive to you ready for gift giving via International Express air mail, with tracking.
Your order will be shipped within 1-2 days of ordering.
Please, feel free to get in touch if you have any questions or requests.
* Note that exact size and shade of wood may vary from the photos on this website as each piece is unique and made by hand.