Hand-carved on a piece of ancient Irish bog oak, this Celtic cross pendant is the perfect gift for anyone with Irish heritage or for someone who resonates with the Celtic myths and traditions of the natural world.
Bog Oak comes from ancient forests that once covered Ireland. Huge oaks have been buried in peat bogs and preserved from decay by the acidic and anaerobic bog conditions, sometimes for hundreds or even thousands of years. The wood is usually stained black by tannin dissolved in the acidic water. Bog-wood represents the early stages in the fossilization of wood, with further stages ultimately forming lignite and coal over a period of many millions of years.
Known as King of the forest for its strength and longevity, the Oak was sacred to the ancient Celts and is considered one of the three primary magical woods.
Widely used as christian symbol, the Celtic cross has a history stretching further back than Christianity. The cross was originally a pagan sun or moon representation. Its 4 arms may also represent the 4 elements (earth, air, fire, water) or the four directions (north, south, east and west and the mother of pearl inlay represents you, always in the middle.
– 5000 year old Irish Bog Oak sanded to a smooth finish
– With a mother of pearl inlay
– Non-toxic oil & beeswax finish to seal the wood & enhance its natural color
– Pendant size: 38mm x 22mm / 1.5″ x 0.8″
– On a black adjustable waxed cotton cord necklace
– Perfect gift for men or women alike
– Your bog oak Celtic cross necklace will come presented on a lovely gift card with a Certificate of Authenticity
– I use International Express air mail with a tracking (unless otherwise requested)
Please, feel free to get in touch if you have any questions or requests.
I have a genuine love for my craft and take great pride in the creation of each individual piece. Even more so when it is a customized order. Please note that the grain and color of the wood may vary slightly from the pieces modeled in the photographs.
Thank you for choosing Fretmajic.