Carved out of the 5000 years old Irish bog oak, this intricate mother & child knot necklace is the perfect gift for anyone with Irish heritage or for someone who resonates with the Celtic myths and traditions of the natural world. This is a unique addition to anybody’s jewellery collection.
Bog oak comes from ancient forests that once covered Ireland. Huge oaks have been buried in peat bogs and preserved from decay by the acidic and anaerobic bog conditions, sometimes for hundreds or even thousands of years. The wood is usually stained black by tannin dissolved in the acidic water. Bog-wood represents the early stages in the fossilization of wood, with further stages ultimately forming lignite and coal over a period of many millions of years.
Known as King of the forest for its strength and longevity, the oak was sacred to the ancient Celts and is considered one of the three primary magical woods.
Celtic knots date back to the 3rd to 4th century B.C. Drawn in one continuous line, suggesting a continuous movement of time, they represent infinity and eternal life. They symbolize faith, declare love & unity between people, and even protect against evil spirits. This particular knot, depicting a mother holding her child, symbolizes the deep and infinite love & bond between a mother and her children.
– 5000 years old Irish bog oak, sanded to a smooth finish
– Oil finished with non-toxic oil to seal the wood & enhance its natural color
– Pendant size 50mm x 25mm / 2″ x 1″
– On 16″ or 18″ or 22″ waxed black nylon cord necklace with lobster clasp
– With a quality cast and lead free pewter Trinity Celtic bail attached
This unique mother & child knot necklace will arrive to you ready for gift giving via registered air mail, delivered upon signature.
Your order will be shipped within 1-2 days of ordering.
Please, feel free to get in touch if you have any questions or requests.
* Note that exact size and shade of wood may vary from the photos on this website as each piece is unique and made by hand.