Hand-carved out of bog yew, This triquetra pendant is the perfect gift for anyone with Irish heritage or for someone who resonates with the Celtic myths and traditions of the natural world.
Bog yew comes from ancient forests that once covered Ireland. Huge trees have been buried in peat bogs and preserved from decay by the acidic and anaerobic bog conditions, sometimes for hundreds or even thousands of years. The wood is usually stained brown by tannin dissolved in the acidic water. Bog-wood represents the early stages in the fossilization of wood, with further stages ultimately forming lignite and coal over a period of many millions of years.
Considered one of the sacred trees in the Celtic world, the yew has long been associated with immortality & longevity. As a consequence, warriors and poets alike were often called after it. Indeed, Eoghan remains one of the more popular Irish names in modern Ireland. The Druids chose yew from which to make their wands, or staffs, and cherished it as having powerful magical properties.
Celtic knots date back to the 3rd to 4th century B.C. Drawn in one continuous line, suggesting a continuous movement of time, they represent infinity and eternal life. They symbolize faith, declare love & unity between people, and even protect against evil spirits. The iconic triquetra (or rinity knot) has a myriad of symbolic interpretations. Pagans treasure it as a representation of the forces of Nature, earth, fire and water. On a more spiritual level it is seen to symbolize life, death and rebirth. It was latterly adapted by Christians to represent the three elements of the holy Trinity.
– 6000 years old Irish bog yew, sanded to a smooth finish
– Non-toxic oil finish to seal the wood & enhance its natural color
– Pendant size: 35 mm x 28mm / 1.38 x 1.1 Inches
– On 16″ (40 cm), 18″ (45cm) or 22″ (55 cm) Waxed nylon black cord necklace
– With a quality cast and lead free pewter Trinity Celtic bail attached
– Perfect 5th year wedding anniversary gift
Your unique triquetra pendant will arrive to you ready for gift giving via registered air mail, delivered upon signature.
Your order will be shipped within 1-2 days of ordering.
Please, feel free to get in touch if you have any questions or requests.
* Note that exact size and shade of wood may vary from the photos on this website as each piece is unique and made by hand.