Enclosed into a side groove with a Sterling silver ring, this unique and intricate hand-carved Irish bog oak Celtic Awen pendant will be made for you, or a loved one, in my studio on the West of Ireland.
Bog Oak comes from ancient forests that once covered Ireland. Huge oaks have been buried in peat bogs and preserved from decay by the acidic and anaerobic bog conditions, sometimes for hundreds or even thousands of years. The wood is usually stained black by tannin dissolved in the acidic water. Bog-wood represents the early stages in the fossilization of wood, with further stages ultimately forming lignite and coal over a period of many millions of years.
Known as King of the forest for its strength and longevity, the Oak was sacred to the ancient Celts and is considered one of the three primary magical woods.
In the Celtic language, the word “Awen” means essence or inspiration.
The Awen Celtic symbol is said to represent the three rays of light from Ancient times.
The three rays are said to represent the harmony of opposites in the universe. The two outer rays represents the male and female energy and the central ray the balance between them. The Awen is a symbol of modern Druidry, yet is of course inspired by our distant past. It’s amazing to think that the oak that this came from, probably predated even the ancient Druids!
On the whole, Awen is considered a symbol of inspiration and divine illumination for poets, writers, artists and creatives.
– 5000 year old native Irish Bog Oak, sanded to a smooth finish
– Organic oil and beeswax finish to seal the wood & enhance its natural color
– The carved piece is enclosed into a side groove with a Sterling silver ring
– Pendant size: 35 mm / 1.2 Inches long
– On 16″ (40cm) or 18″ (45cm) Sterling silver chain
– Your necklace will come presented in a lovely gift box with a Certificate of Authenticity
Your Celtic Awen pendant will arrive to you ready for gift giving via International Express air mail, with tracking.
Your order will be shipped within 1-2 days of ordering.
Please, feel free to get in touch if you have any questions or requests.
* Note that exact size and shade of wood may vary from the photos on this website as each piece is unique and made by hand.